The Dutch convention Abunai!, also known as Abunaicon, scheduled annually at the end of August at NH Koningshof Veldhoven, has shared a change of plans for the event that was planned for 2021. The convention will be postponed, but we don’t have to wait an extra year for the event as the organisation behind the convention, Stichting Abunai!, has decided to let the event take place in February 2022. This was confirmed by the convention in an official message.
In other words, it will not be a summer convention this time, but a winter convention! The specific dates for the upcoming and also the 18th edition of Abunai! are scheduled for 18, 19 and 20 February 2022. The location and the theme, The Good, The Bad and the Cheeky, remain the same.
Abunai! says: “We have chosen to move because of the organisational risks. There is still a mighty possibility that the speed of the vaccine programme is not where it has to be this summer for Abunai! to take place as is tradition. Organising a convention with COVID-19 measures such as 1.5-metre distance between attendees is not feasible. Who would even want that? Touch starvation, to be so close yet not allowed to reach out, is scalding agony.”
Stichting Abunai! also talks about the subsidy plan created by the Dutch government to support the events industry: “The assistance plan from the Dutch government is not a feasible option for us. It is true that 80% will be reimbursed, but the remaining 20% is still a loan. As the ancient Dutch proverb goes: Caution! Borrowing money costs money.”
The choice to hold the event in February was also addressed in the message of Abunai!, which was done for various reasons including the availability of the location. The full explanation of why the organisation decided to skip 2021 as well can be read on the website of the convention.
If you are in the possession of a ticket bought for the event in 2020 or 2021, it remains valid for the event in 2022. It is also possible to ask for your money back if the new date does not work out.
All changes of Japan-related events and events where Japanese musicians are planned to perform are compiled in a list that you can find here. This list will be regularly updated.